Today I did something I haven't done in quite some time, I started a new job. After three years working on the Windows Live/Windows consumer marketing team I've decided to take on a new opportunity within Microsoft. I will be heading up the new Emerging Media team for Microsoft. This is a really exciting time for all of us marketing geeks and I'm particularly excited about where digital and mobile marketing are going. The charter of this team will be to partner with Microsoft consumer brands to build out large scale earned media properties on sites such as; Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc. In addition to the earned properties we will layer paid media on top to really drive consumer engagement across the social web, both online and mobile. I believe the real impact of social media programs comes when integrated into the media program. Every week there are new forms of emerging media popping up, from mobile ad networks to WebTV and Twitter advertising partners. Our team will test and learn and hopefully discover the sweet spot of partnership between earned and paid media.
If that sounds interesting to you then please follow this blog. I'll cover what emerging media our team finds interesting and share out our lessons and learnings as they come. And, of course, we are hiring! If this sounds like something that would interest you or someone you know the job description is below and you can apply here.
Microsoft Emerging Media Manager
Microsoft's Global Media team has an exciting opportunity for a passionate Marketing Manager to research, coordinate, project manage and implement emerging media marketing initiatives as across major global brands including Windows, Bing, Office, Windows Phones, and across our commercial business audiences. The ideal person will be immersed in what it means to "live life online" through channels such as Hulu, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc. across the three screens of PC, television, and mobile phones.
The Emerging Media Manager will help drive the evolution of Microsoft's engagement with consumers around new and developing experiences including social media and mobile, will leverage and connect paid and earned media activities, and drive business impact in a results-driven manner to increase adoption and scale across Microsoft businesses. The ideal candidate will be fluent in online campaign engagement, thrive on constant change, and focus on delivering impact and results. The ability to drive business impact is an imperative. We are looking for a senior media thought leader to provide leadership among cross functional teams and build out scalable social and emerging media programs which will significantly impact consumer preference and business results for Microsoft brands.
The Microsoft Global Media team directs the strategy, planning and execution of MarCom investments across businesses. This role demands digital as first language and requires deep experience in planning, optimizing and generating impact through digital work. We are looking for someone who has a point of view, conviction and who can step in and reshape communications strategy against a landscape that is in constant change. Curiosity should be your primary language and you should be able to inspire.
Key Responsibilities Include:
· Collaborating with key campaign owners to bring customized and innovative programs to drive business and marketing objectives
· Delivering a model to amplify earned media across businesses and geographies
· Implementing a Microsoft-brand social media strategy
· Developing new approaches to extending our paid media in ways that amplify the impact across "earned" media channels
· Cultivating relationships outside of Microsoft to enable us to lead the market with emerging media
· Serving as evangelist and resource within the Central Marketing Group and with business group partners to drive adoption of programs across campaigns and with our internal partners
This role requires a passion for digital media and intense curiosity about the future of how consumers interact with each other, consume and engage with content, and develop affinity to brands online. Agility and flexibility required.
The ideal candidate for this job has:
· A minimum of 5-7 years online marketing experience with a strong focus on Web 2.0 technologies
· Experience delivering successful global marketing campaigns
· Ability to generate ideas and work within minimal guidance
· Social credibility: is an active and avid participant in the social media space
· A career trajectory that shows consistent, excellent performance in challenging and evolving roles
· A track record of building strong teams
· Experience driving consensus at senior levels in complex organizations
· BA in business, marketing, or related area required. MBA preferred.